Couscous with Chicken and Vegetables for Dogs
- 1/2 cup couscous
- 1 cup chicken stock for dog
- 1/4 cup cooked carrots ..... chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked celery ..... chopped
- 1/4 cup cooked cfennel bulb ..... chopped
- 1 cup cooked chicken breasts ..... cut into very small pieces
- 2 oz frozen green peas ..... defrosted
- 1 hard boiled egg ..... chopped
- cilantro ..... chopped
- Olive oil (or other healthy oil like sesame oil or flaxseed oil)
Reheat one cup of chicken stock on the stove or microwave. Add couscous into the pan or the bowl and cover for 5 minutes. Fluff the couscous and set aside.
In a serving bowl, combine couscous and chicken breast (*see below).
On top of the couscous/chicken mix, add all prepared vegetables (carrots, celery, fennel, peas).
Sprinkle hard boiled eggs then cilantro on the top.
Drizzle some olive oil.
*The ratio of the meat, vegetables and starch depends on the dog's needs but the basic rule is 40% meat, 30% vegetables and 30% starch. For my dog (8.5lb), I combined 1 tablespoon couscous, 1.5 tablespoons chicken, 1/2 tablespoon eggs, 1 tablespoon vegetables, 1 teaspoon of olive oil for one meal.
Also, you should use at least three different vegetables. It is also a good idea to add a supplement like brewer's yeast kelp depending on your dog's needs.
I often combine a little dry dog food with my homemade batch so as not to shock my dog. Please consult your vet before you introduce homemade dog food for the first time.